Wednesday, April 18, 2018

In defense of high-density housing near SSF BART

(There are proposals to build housing on a vacant lot down the trail from South San Francisco BART station. The fact that some alternatives promoted by potential developers are up to 15 stories tall has upset many residents. Here, resident John Baker makes a plea for more housing on the location.)


South San Francisco is an older city, and I’m not talking about the fact it recently celebrated its 107th anniversary.

What I mean is that it is a community where the median age of a resident has risen from 26.8 in 1970 to 38.1 in 2010 as home-owning adults aged in place and younger people moved away to start families in more-affordable locales. In fact, South San Francisco has almost 3,500 fewer school-aged kids than it did when I was born, despite the city’s population increasing by more than 20,000 in that time. (Note, I’m talking the physical existence of children, not just enrollment in our public schools.) Families increasingly cannot afford to stay in this city.

That’s why meaningful housing construction, like the proposals for homes on the former SFPUC location just south of the South San Francisco BART station, are important for South City’s future.

I recently completed a seven-year stint as a commissioner on the South San Francisco Public Housing Authority. I’ve seen the damage done to families by a housing supply that is far short of demand: runaway rents, soaring housing costs, and an influx of money that is both directly and indirectly leading to displacement of some of our most vulnerable. The waiting list for our Public Housing is so long that the Authority won’t even quote wait times. The waiting list for a Section 8 voucher is long as well, and good luck finding a landlord that will accept one.

We have a profound need to increase housing supply. I think many people in South City agree on that. However, some people say, “I support more housing, but this is not the right place.” To me, this location is the absolute best place to build housing on the Peninsula: Hundreds of units, up to 160 of them affordable, literally right next to a BART station and a heavily used bicycle/pedestrian path, right next to the Peninsula’s longest street, and within blocks of schools and grocery stores. It will be adjacent to what will soon be the newest, most advanced-technology library in San Mateo County. This is the place.

There’s reasonable discussion to be had as to how tall these buildings need to be. I’m guessing we initially had proposals of up to 15 stories because developers realize they will likely be trimmed down to seven (which is how tall the tallest new proposals appear to be). They didn’t ask for seven, because then it would be trimmed down to four. Personally, I think we need far more publicly subsidized housing – not just BMR housing. But anything a project in this location can do to help our supply is appreciated.

I’ve heard or read many of my neighbors says something to the effect of “No one asked for this,” Well… (raises hand) … I’m asking for this.

• I’m asking for this because I don’t want wetlands and farms in the Central Valley turned into blacktop.
• I’m asking for this because I do not want any more homes on San Bruno Mountain. Or on landfill in the Bay.
• I’m asking for this because helping people get homes, or at least having homes for newcomers so those current renters are less likely to be displaced, is the right thing to do.

The single-most meaningful challenge for our younger generations will be climate change. Building high-density infill housing near transit is an impactful way to meet our state’s ambitious climate goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent of their 1990 levels. The days of the super-commute have to end. And, I would suggest, if cities want to ensure people in such buildings actually take mass transit, reduce or eliminate parking minimums for such projects.

I’ve read residents online complaining that “The Hillsboroughs of the world aren’t building their share of housing, so why should we?” To me, that’s like asking why I have to sort my recycling from the trash if my neighbors don’t. We should make sure there’s more housing, even if some of our neighbors don’t because we’re more ethical than them. We’re more environmentally conscious than them.

And finally, the leadership of this city is more responsible for the mess than them. The predecessors of the current city council promoted policies that created thousands more jobs than housing units between 2000 and 2010. And you know what? Downtown South San Francisco is more active, our streets are a little cleaner, and extra policing has made our gang problem less acute. But — and I’m not saying this is unique to South City by any means — we have fallen behind on our responsibilities to keep housing supply and demand balanced.

So I am asking the City to build this. The more units, the better. Please.

John Baker is a former chair of the South San Francisco Public Housing Authority and current trustee for the South San Francisco Unified School District. This essay is his own opinion as an individual and not necessarily representative of any organization of which he is a part.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Come live in sunshine gardens and feel the impact or let them build in your community. Traffic is a nightmare on Chestnut, hillside, ecr and next mission road. We are not saying do not build but build snart for the locale. Its too tall and they need to fix traffic issues now before adding more. I understand we have growth snd need housing but it needs to be practical. They need to go back to drawing board and come up with a plan that makes sense for all.

Dwayne Frey said...

You make some great points and there is no question that not just SSF needs to address housing but all of the Bay Area. It is a difficult problem with no easy solution. My big issue is our City leadership continues to concentrate their efforts on developing more and more Biotech as evidenced by all of the construction continuing at Oyster Point and throughout SSF. This unchecked development only adds to the density problems faced by our bay area communities. Traffic and parking are already strained. True, high density housing near BART promotes public transit but are we to believe these residents will not also have cars. I live in West Winston Manor and a drive from El Camino Kaiser to my home that use to take 3 to 4 minutes can often take 20 minutes. I don't support more high density housing on the El Camino corridor. Bottom line, there is no easy to find location for more housing. However, I do not support any high density housing that will adversely impact traffic flow and congestion, on the Hickey, El Camino, Westborough, and Hillside corridors.

AJB said...

I am a South San Francisco resident without a car, by choice. So there's at least one.

I live in Serra Highlands and walk 12 minutes to BART to commute to my Mission-area desk job. I realize my lifestyle doesn't suit everyone. I enjoy the exercise of my walk, time on the train to catch up on email, news or a book, no parking or car damage stress, and the flexibility to head back home from wherever my evening finishes.

John, thanks for this well-written post. I'm a new South San Francisco resident (moved in Fall 2016) and I support more housing in our community for all the reasons you outline.

Jamie said...

John, I also thank you for the post. I think you clarified the right reasons for high-density housing near BART. There are many issues to address, traffic and congestion in the area is possibly the most problematic. If only we can clarify and weigh the great reasons for more housing near public transportation, then maybe we can begin to identify the problems that come with it and work together to resolve those issues in a practical and acceptable manner to enhance our community.