Friday, September 26, 2008

Little stinkers

Stinker No. 1:


Ian at last week's Burlingame/Menlo-Atherton tennis match, which I covered for the San Mateo Times. The Burlingame tennis coach actually told me something along the lines of "I didn't discover watching girls playing tennis until I was in my twenties."

Stinker No. 2:
I finally had my first blowout tonight, as El Camino beat Jefferson, 30-8, on a foggy Daly City field. The fog was probably the only familiar thing, as the Jefferson field has been completely renovated. In a previous post I decried the new artifical turf at Terra Nova*, but this was a field that really needed it.

Jefferson High -- the closest thing to an inner city high school one will find in San Mateo County -- opened in 1922 and it seemed like it hadn't been tended to since. The old field was usually muddy, bare and poorly marked. The "press box" was a four-feet by six-feet shack and what passed for a track was a concrete-hard surface covered with blowing dust. But the new field -- the whole stadium, in fact -- looks great.

While it's still under construction, the renovated stadium has already brought a new energy to the school, new spirit to the fans and even the lights (donated by alumnus John Madden) seem a lot brighter than they once were. Kudos to the Jefferson High School District and school bond voters. While educational priorities will always be debated, this field and track will help keep thousands of Daly City youths healthy and greatly benefit the community as a whole.

* Four weeks into the season, I have yet to see a game on real grass this year and have another game on turf (Menlo School vs. Lowell at Woodside High) on Saturday night.

No comments: